Friday, February 15, 2013

Lent: Not giving up on students

In an hour I'm going to load up a 15 passenger church van and drive a group of American University students to the Jersey Shore to do some Habitat for Humanity work.

This idea was entirely conceived of and organized by the students. I'm just along for the...well, along for the drive I guess would be the way to put it.

The students I work with at AU organize service trips. They volunteer at homeless shelters. They start campaigns to divest their school from fossil fuels in order to do their part to respond to our ecological crisis. And they get together to pray, to hold each other's hands, to sing, to share life together.

They are leaders, and I respect them immensely.

This Lent, I'm not giving up on students.

No comments:

Post a Comment