Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lent: Not giving up on singing

I don't have much of a voice.

My voice has been described as "Dylanesque," which is a nice way of saying "you should stick to writing lyrics." In my senior year of high school I played Applegate in Damn Yankees. My vocal coach, who knew me quite well, sat me down and said, "David, you don't have the prettiest voice. But you have a loud voice, and we're going to use that." I took it as a compliment.

This lack of a beautiful voice has never stopped me from singing. I love it. I love people who sing. I don't care if they "can" or not.

Today a student asked me to bring my guitar to office hours, so I did, and I sang a few songs. My voice was sort of worn and raspy--I've been losing my voice lately--so I didn't sing that much.

But there was a quiet joy to it. A joy worth repeating.

This Lent, I'm not giving up on singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment