Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lent: Not giving up on nonviolence

I'm in a class on Gandhi and Martin Luther King this semester, so my classmates and I have been talking a lot about nonviolence. This has me thinking. I talked a lot about nonviolence in college, and talked about it more and in a different context while I lived in Palestine. I think I've gotten a bit jaded. It's a bit harder for me to talk about now.

So this semester has been a good exercise for me. Today, the topic of Gandhi's response to WWII came up.  And the question of whether nonviolence could have been effective against the Nazis. And I brought up Denmark.

It's remarkable what human resistance to evil acts can look like.

This Lent, despite all evidence to the contrary, I'm not giving up on nonviolence.

No comments:

Post a Comment