Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lent: Not giving up on school...

...even though I sort of want to. And even though I've been telling my roommate that I'm going to fail out of seminary ever since I found out today that my Systematic Theology midterm is due Monday, and not the next Monday like I thought it was.

But seriously. How lucky and privileged am I. I get to sit around and read theology and write papers about Jeremiah and about what reading Genesis 15 is like for someone with mental illness and experience in Palestine. Every time I complain about school someone should remind me of how lucky I am.

Today I received feedback on a paper to the extent that I should do PhD work. And although I have at least one former Teacher's Assistant who has threatened to come back to Washington, DC, just to punch me in the face if I consider doing a PhD, it's a helluva compliment. It sure is nice to be told that your writing means something.

Just a few minutes ago, my roommate and I were sitting in the lounge in our dorm, talking about the emergent church and whether those words mean anything and whether they mean anything to little ol' orthodox, traditional, Mainline me.

What a privilege, to have the time to do something like that.

This Lent, I'm not giving up on school.

(Although, if you want to give up on school and, for example, live in the wilderness of Colorado and teach teenagers how to light fires and wrestle bears, then I probably will think you are a complete badass and like the coolest sister ever. Hypothetically.)

No comments:

Post a Comment