Saturday, December 24, 2016

"God can be born anywhere" -- A Christmas Greeting from Fooling with Scripture

Every year, at Christmas, I post the same thing.

Not because it's the most profound thing ever, but because it's the truest thing I've figured out to say about Christmas.

This year I thought I'd present it in brief "Fooling with Scripture" podcast form.

Check out the mini-podcast here:
 

The first time I really understood the Nativity was in Yanoun, in the northern West Bank. The shepherds we were with showed us where they keep their sheep. It was a low, dark, cave.  Noisy, crowded with animals, and smelling like–well–sheep shit. The mangers were rusty, with sheep pushing at each other to find space to eat. Not the sort of place you’d want to have a kid. I remember thinking: “If God can be born here, I guess God can be born anywhere.”

Here's a song about Yanoun:

You can find out more about Sabeel, and about Friends of Sabeel - North America, and about the Ecumenical Accompaniment Program. If you're feeling generous this Christmas, I encourage you to make a gift to any and all three.

 Of course, if you're feeling particularly generous, and you like the stuff I post on here, you can become a Patron!

Merry Christmas, everyone. Wherever you are -- God can be born there. With you.

No comments:

Post a Comment